- What motivated me to start the blog? – I have always loved fashion. It all started with my Mom dressing me in the cutest clothes when I was little plus my Mom was always dressed to the nine’s! Naturally, I went to college and studied Fashion Merchandising. Against, my Mom’s will of course. I’m Filipino so of course she wanted me to be a nurse 🙂 I worked in retail all throughout college and as soon as I graduated in 2005 I landed my first buying job. It was literally the job of my dreams straight out of college and I learned so much. Also, side note, Teddi Mellencamp (for all my RHOBH fans) was a coworker at the time, haha. Anywho, that was the stepping stone of my buying career and I continued to grow professionally in that field for a little over 8 years. When I decided to make the transition from the corporate retail world into Supply Chain Management, it was a much needed change but I sure did miss talking fashion trends everyday. Long story short (per usual) that’s why I started my blog. It was my creative outlet to still talk fashion and all the things that I love outside of my current profession.
- Where did the blog name come from? – LOL, I just thought it was so clever when I came up with the Instagram handle style_lynn. It has part of my name in it and represents the word “stylin'”. I chose to name the blog The Style Lynn Life because I knew that along with style I would be talking so much about life experiences so it just seemed fitting.
- If you had to give someone starting in the blogging world one piece of advice, what would it be? Ahhh, it’s so hard to pick just one piece of advice because I have learned so much along the way! But my advice to someone who is on the fence about starting their blog I say, “Do it!” I think the only regret I have about blogging is that I didn’t start my blog in 2010 when I originally wanted to. I always talk to my best friend Rachel about this because she remembers me telling her that I wanted to start one when I first moved to Texas but I hesitated because, well, I don’t remember exactly why but I’m sure I was full of excuses. I can’t imagine where it would have been if I would have just DID IT! Everything happens for a reason so I am just greatful for where I am now but I’m telling you, if you are thinking about starting one, do it girl! Don’t come up with a million and one excuses. There is so much to learn along the way. Also, another great tip is to remember to start your blog because you are passionate about whatever you are sharing. I have a lot of people who reach out to me saying that they want to make money by starting a blog and honestly that’s not really how it works. You have to build an audience and connect with them. You have to build relationships with companies so that they want to work with you. You don’t just start a .com and the money starts rolling in.
That brings me to my next question and probably the most frequently asked.
4. How do you make money blogging?- There are many different ways that you can make money blogging. I am extremely fortunate that I have been able to monetize my blog and social media platforms through wonderful brand partnerships, affiliate marketing and LikeToKnow.it. Brand partnerships are started from either myself reaching out to company directly and pitching my idea, a brand reaching directly out to me with an idea or a PR company reaching out to me with an opportunity. When I first established my blog in what I thought was a “good place” to start reaching out to companies, I would send out like a 100 emails every week. No joke. Thankfully, I have built some great relationships and word of mouth is so strong you guys, I am grateful to work with more and more PR firms these days. Affiliate marketing and LiketoKnow.it is commission based. 99% of the time I link something on my blog or through my social media accounts and you purchase the product through my links, I get small credit/commission for it. So clearly, it’s so appreciated when you use my links. Whether it’s my link or another blogger’s link you follow, if you really like following them, a great way to show your support for their hard work is to shop their links. I promise we love you guys so much for it! With that being said, I link all of my outfits on my blog posts and any “social media” only posts are linked under my shop tab. If you want to shop all of your favorite bloggers looks in once place you can sign up for an account (super easy) on LiketoKnow.it and search style_lynn and all of your other blogger friends!
5. What camera do you use and how do you edit your photos? – I have a Canon D3300 and I use Lightroom and Snapseed. I wish I was better at photography and editing but I’m really not. I have been shooting with Yash from Banavenue Photography for some time now and he is so amazing. He edits all of the photos we take together but if I shoot looks on my own aka husband or friend shooting me I’ll edit in Lightroom or Snapseed.
I hope this post was helpful but let me know if you guys have any other questions regarding this topic! As always, thank you so much for reading and allowing me to talk to you about all the things, brands and places that I love!
Feel free to email me at email@example.com 🙂